The Flamingos Paradise, Landscape, and Maasai Culture
Are you looking for a real safari adventure in Africa – Lake Natron is the unique place in Tanzania to the famous mountain of God – Ol Doinyo Lengai, landscape, Gregory Rift, the eastern branch of the East African Rift, waterfalls, authentic Maasai village, and the beautiful lake which is the breeding site for thousands of Flamingos in Africa (75% of the world population are hatched at the lake).
Located in northern Tanzania on the boarded with Serengeti, Ngorongoro, and Kenya – with an area of 1.040 Square Kilometers.
Why Visit Lake Natron - What to do?
- A walk to Lake Natron to see thousands of flamingoes
- Visit an authentic Maasai village
- Beautiful view on the Great Rift Valley Wall and surroundings
- Climb the mountain of God – Ol Doinyo Lengai
- Walk to the waterfall located between the Escarpment of Great Rift Valley
- Chance to see the migratory animals – Buffalos, Zebras, Wildebeest, and Giraffes, the resident game includes gazelles, ostriches, jackals and hyenas, some oryx, lesser kudu, and gerenuk can rare seeing – Lions footprints have occasionally been sighted in the sand.
# We recommend you to stay not less than 2 nights in Lake Natron
Why does Lake Natron change color?
Lake Natron is a mineral-rich soda lake, that has halophilic organisms include some cyanobacteria that, like plants, produce their own food through photosynthesis. The red pigment in those cyanobacteria produces the deep red colors of the lake’s waters and the orange colors in the shallow areas. So, the actual derives its color from salt-loving microorganisms that thrive in its alkaline waters
When is the best time to visit?
The best months to visit Lake Natron are during the dry season – the coolest ones from June to August. Is perfect for Lake walking and trekking the Ngorongoro hills and Ol Doinyo Lengai – also you can combine it with a safari to Northern Serengeti to see the river crossings.
Lake Natron Facts
- The Lake lays at the foot of Ol Doinyo Lengai, an active volcano
- 2,5 million flamingos are coming here yearly to breed
- Lake Natron has the largest flamingo migration in the world
- Water temperature is between 40-60°C
- The lake type is Salt – It is 57 kilometers long and 22 kilometers wide
- Special bacteria and blue algae thrive in this environment and form an ideal breeding ground for the life of birds
- There is fish called tilapia who alone can survive in the alkaline waters
- The alkalinity of the lake can reach a pH level of more than 12
Lake Manyara National Park Safari – offers you wilderness experience in diverse habitats, from its Rift Valley soda lake with pink flamingo.
Tanzania’s bowl of paradise, home to wildlife, tribes, Edenic landscapes and biosphere reserve - Nevertheless, due to the ancient presence of Maasai people, the area remains nature’s paradise.
Join us on a safari and explore the endless Serengeti plains dotted with trees and kopje from which majestic lions control their kingdom
Tarangire National Parks offers unlimited Safari tour to see highest population density of elephants and many more wildlife
Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (best price) - J.M Tour Ltd provides guides, chefs, and porters, as well as camping gear, full meals, and water.
Zanzibar Island is known as Africa’s tropical paradise that offers laid-back beach, miles and miles of white sandy beaches dotted with palm trees
Are you looking for a game drive in Arusha? Arusha National Park is a multi-faceted jewel, often overlooked by safari goers, despite offering the opportunity to explore.
Home to the Hadzabe bushmen and Datoga tribes, Lake Eyasi is one of the few places remaining in Africa where tribal life is still maintained relatively untouched by the development of the region.