Lake Natron Safari
Lake Natron Safari is a Tanzania wildlife and nature experience that takes visitors to a unique and remote salt lake located in the northern part of the country.
The lake is known for its high alkalinity, which supports a unique ecosystem of microorganisms, and its pink color, which is caused by the presence of cyanobacteria and other algae.
Lake Natron Safari offers a unique and off-the-beaten-path adventure for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts.
The Best Time to visit Lake Natron
The best time for Lake Natron Safari is during the coolest months, which makes the area to be friendly for outdoor adventures and ideas for trekking.
Here is the guideline;
- June to October: Dry Season; During this time, the weather is dry and cool, with clear skies and low humidity, making it an ideal time for outdoor activities like hiking and game drives.
The best time to witness the famous flamingo breeding season, which typically occurs in July and August.
- November to February: Short Rain; It is a beautiful time to visit, as the landscape becomes lush and green, and the bird life is more abundant. Grazing animals as they move through the area in search of food and water.
- March to May: Heavy Rain; During this time, the rain makes the roads to be difficult to pass and the lake overflows and the surrounding plains become flooded.
What to do in Lake Natron?
Visitors can explore the best trip Tanzania Nature and Wildlife Tour. The Place is located in northern Tanzania on the board with Serengeti, Ngorongoro, and Kenya – with an area of 1.040 Square Kilometers.
- Walking to Waterfalls and Hot Springs: Take a beautiful walk to the Engare Sero gorge to experience several waterfalls and springs.
You can swim and cool off. This oasis is a beautiful mix of tropical palm trees and volcanic rocks.
– Duration: 2 – 4 hours
- Climb Ol Doinyo Lengai (Not for everybody): Climb with the moonlight this 3,000-meter-high ‘Mountain of God’ (as it is called by the Maasai). The only active carbonate volcano in the world.
The view from the top of the mountain is breathtaking.
– Duration: 11 hours
- Climb Great Rift Valle: Early in the morning. You climb to enjoy the dawn on top and be served breakfast – with the majestic mountain Ol’Donyo Lengai in the background. This is a special day.
– Duration: 6 hours
- Visit Maasai Village: Experiencing the culture of Maasai. Here you will sing in a chorus jumped with warriors while the others continue with the mesmerizing rhythms.
The fascinating lunar environment of Lake Natron Safari invites you to explore.
Lake Natron Safari
8 Days Tour ExperiencesFrom$2,238
The best 8 days tour experience of Lake Natron full of flamingos and Tarangire National Park game drives.
Why does Lake Natron change color?
Lake Natron is a mineral-rich soda lake that has halophilic organisms, including some cyanobacteria that, like plants, produce their food through photosynthesis.
The red pigment in those cyanobacteria produces the deep red colors of the lake’s waters and the orange colors in the shallow areas. So, the actual derives its color from salt-loving microorganisms that thrive in its alkaline waters.
Lake Natron Facts
- The Lake lies at the foot of Ol Doinyo Lengai, an active volcano
- 2,5 million flamingos come here yearly to breed
- Lake Natron has the largest flamingo migration in the world
- Water temperature is between 40-60°C
- The lake type is Salt – It is 57 kilometers long, 22 kilometers wide, and no more than 3 meters deep.
- Special bacteria and blue algae thrive in this environment and form an ideal breeding ground for the life of birds.
- There is fish called tilapia that alone can survive in the alkaline waters
- The alkalinity of the lake can reach a pH level of more than 12
The Lake Natron safari experience is typically the best Tanzania Nature and Wildlife Tour, including the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, as well as hikes to see the flamingos that flock to the lake’s shallow waters to breed.
Lake Manyara National Park Safari – offers you wilderness experience in diverse habitats, from its Rift Valley soda lake with pink flamingo.
Tanzania’s bowl of paradise, home to wildlife, tribes, Edenic landscapes and biosphere reserve - Nevertheless, due to the ancient presence of Maasai people, the area remains nature’s paradise.
Join us on a safari and explore the endless Serengeti plains dotted with trees and kopje from which majestic lions control their kingdom
Tarangire National Parks offers unlimited Safari tour to see highest population density of elephants and many more wildlife
Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (best price) - J.M Tour Ltd provides guides, chefs, and porters, as well as camping gear, full meals, and water.
Zanzibar Island is known as Africa’s tropical paradise that offers laid-back beach, miles and miles of white sandy beaches dotted with palm trees
Are you looking for a game drive in Arusha? Arusha National Park is a multi-faceted jewel, often overlooked by safari goers, despite offering the opportunity to explore.
Home to the Hadzabe bushmen and Datoga tribes, Lake Eyasi is one of the few places remaining in Africa where tribal life is still maintained relatively untouched by the development of the region.