Ngorongoro Crater Tours | Top Safari Trips
The Ngorongoro Crater Tours is a stunningly gorgeous location. Find the top safari trips and the best place in East Africa to see the Big 5 Animals, the Maasai tribe, and Historical sites
Tanzania’s bowl of paradise, home to wildlife, tribes, Edenic landscapes, and biosphere reserve – Nevertheless, due to the ancient presence of the Maasai people, the area remains nature’s paradise. The conservation area is located west of Arusha town which has an altitude from 1,350 meters to 3,600 meters above sea level, covers an area of more than 8,300 square kilometers, and has three species coexisting: wildlife, livestock, and human beings.
All monthly of the year the wildlife watching inside the Ngorongoro Crater is always spectacular. During the Dry season (June through September) animal spotting is easier. During the wet season, (from November to May) there are far fewer visitors and the crater is wonderfully lush and green compared to the dusty dry-season landscape.
What To Do
- Enthusiasts game drive to Ngorongoro Crater and Ndutu area
- The place to spot the Africa Big Five “Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino and Buffalo”
- Hiking the Ngorongoro highlands
- Experience in the culture of the Maasai tribe
- Historical sites tour
- Walking tour to Empakai and Olmoti Crater
- Scenic flight to Oldonyo Lengai Mountain
- Balloon safari to the Ndutu Plain area
- Birdwatching tour from different species of birds, from raptors birds to aquatic birds
There are bigger and wilder parks, but a Ngorongoro Crater safari will provide some of the simplest and most gratifying game viewing in East Africa.
There’s amazing accommodation perched right on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater, offering some of the best views in Africa
Ngorongoro Crater: Ngorongoro Crater covers 260 square kilometers and is 610 meters deep and was created when a large volcano erupted and collapsed on itself around 2.5 million years ago. The world’s largest inactive and unbroken caldera “the crater holds a global significance due to the concentrated biodiversity and density of globally threatened species”. The crater floor offers some great birding – Lake Magadi normally hosts large flocks of flamingos, giving its edge a pinkish tingle when seen from a distance.
Ngorongoro Animals: Large mammals are abundant all the year-round in the Ngorongoro Crater – the craters’ lions are generally very relaxed around vehicles. The most populous large predator is the spotted hyena, as you won’t spend long in the crater without seeing the hyena. The concentration of wildebeest and Zebras, buffalo, jackals, warthog, hippo, gazelle, waterbuck, bushbuck, eland, the population of elephant, while impala and giraffe both of which are common in the crater rim surrounding the plains. Leopards are resident, particularly in swamps areas, but they are not often seen.
Black rhinos are found inside the crater floor and are rarely seen in the open grassland
Ngorongoro Highland plateau: The east protects the Ngorongoro highlands – extinct volcanic peaks include the Lolmalasin at 3,648 meters above sea level, the third highest peak in Tanzania after Kilimanjaro and Meru mountains. From mountains to small hills, gives the area a stunning scenic view. The Crater Highlands rise far above the adjacent savannas, capture moisture from passing air masses, and host rainforests – offering unusual access to two of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area’s lesser-seen gems.
The Maasai Tribe: The Ngorongoro is the homeland for the Nilotic speaking Maasai – who believe in benevolent Engai Narok “Black God” and vengeful Engai Nanyokie “Red God” – They believe that Engai, who resides in the volcano Ol Doinyo Lengai, made them the rightful owners of all the cattle in the world, often regarded to be the archetypal east African pastoralists.
Olduvai Gorge: The Olduvai Gorge is where the Leakey family discovered the remains of early human beings, dating back to 1.75 million years. The historical museum site displays replicas of some of the more interesting hominid fossils of some of the extinct that animals used to roam the plains
A long year of searching came in 1959 when Mary Leakey, Louis’s wife, and a more than accomplished archaeologist in her own right discovered a heavy fossilized jawbone that displayed unambiguous human affinities
Here are the main discoveries at Olduvai Gorge.
- 5 million years ago – Australopithecus Afarensis – Brain 450cc “Lucy”
- 3.75 million years ago –Australopithecus Boisei – Brain 500cc “Nutcracker man”
- 1.7 million years ago – Homo Habilis – Brain 600cc “Handyman”
- 1.1 million years ago – Homo Erectus – Brain 900cc “Upright Man”
- 10,000 years ago – Homo Sapiens – Brain 1,400cc “Modern Man”
- Shifting Sands: The remarkable dune is composed of volcanic ashes from Oldonyo Lengai which is moving magnetic sand according to wind direction.
- Laetoli footprints: The hominid footprint preserved in volcanic rock represents the earliest sign of mankind 3.6 million years ago.
- Olmoti and Empakaai Crates: Are noted for their beauty and solitude. The floors are easily accessible on foot but should be accompanied by a local guide although are smaller than Ngorongoro Crater.
- Nasera Rock: The granite monolith rising 80 meters above the plain, residence to Klipspringers and varieties of bird species.
- Olkarien Gorge: The spectacular and narrow rock which is the nesting site of the Ruppel’s Griffon Vulture.
- Ndutu Plain area: The open grassland is located north side of Ngorongoro and the Southside of Serengeti, which is the breeding site for migration animals of Serengeti.
- Lake Ndutu and Lake Masek: The alkaline lake that is located between the border of Ngorongoro and Serengeti.
Ngorongoro Safari Packages
This is the 7 day safari holiday to visit the most famous parks of Tanzania (Tarangire and Ngorongoro Crater) and have a few days on Zanzibar Island
This 5 Days Safari offers a game drive to Lake Manyara, Serengeti National Park, and Ngorongoro Crater to witness the African big animals.
3 days, 2 nights safari to Lake Manyara park, Bushmen Tribes in lake Eayasi, and Ngorongoro Crater to witness the African big animals
Are you looking for 3 days, 2 nights safari price offers? You are on the right hand! Visit Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater & Tarangire from Arusha Town
2 Days and 1-night Safari Tour in Tanzania, visit Tarangire & Ngorongoro Crater and witness the African Big Animals.
Are you looking for a short safari to Tanzania? Worry not! Here is the 2 days, 1-night safari to Tarangire National park and Lake Manyara National Park.
This 6 Days Safari Tour covers your stay before and after the safari. 4 days Serengeti and Ngorongoro crater game viewing.
Are you looking for real adventure in Africa, Tanzania is the ideal to visit Lake Natron – Flamingos Paradise, landscape, & authentic culture
Lake Manyara National Park Safari – offers you wilderness experience in diverse habitats, from its Rift Valley soda lake with pink flamingo.
Join us on a safari and explore the endless Serengeti plains dotted with trees and kopje from which majestic lions control their kingdom
Tarangire National Parks offers unlimited Safari tour to see highest population density of elephants and many more wildlife
Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (best price) - J.M Tour Ltd provides guides, chefs, and porters, as well as camping gear, full meals, and water.
Zanzibar Island is known as Africa’s tropical paradise that offers laid-back beach, miles and miles of white sandy beaches dotted with palm trees
Are you looking for a game drive in Arusha? Arusha National Park is a multi-faceted jewel, often overlooked by safari goers, despite offering the opportunity to explore.
Home to the Hadzabe bushmen and Datoga tribes, Lake Eyasi is one of the few places remaining in Africa where tribal life is still maintained relatively untouched by the development of the region.